Sunday, May 4, 2014

Leyte-venture

Two weeks ago, I went past the borders of Davao City and ventured towards the Visayas! I wasn't alone though. I joined my friend Camila and her family on a road trip to Leyte. It was the longest road trip for me so far... sitting in the car for two and a half days with nothing much to do but either listen to whatever Camila's dad played on the radio to eating whatever whenever to reading a book to finally dozing off using Camila's shoulder as my pillow. Nevertheless, it was still fun! The plan was to basically just have a road trip, with a bit of stopping by to look at a few breathtaking views, eating at local restaurants and looking for hotels to spend the rest of the night in.






HIGHLIGHTS OF OUR ROAD TRIP!



SANTO NINO SHRINE AND HERITAGE MUSEUM: You would think this is just a typical heritage museum, because that was what we thought at first as we entered the building. All there was to offer was a historical chapel with ceilings made of "banig" or the famous philippine handwoven mats... or so we thought. We never expected what awaited us behind the humble chapel: the mansion the late Ferdinand Marcos had built for his wife Imelda. It was so SO huge!! Really!! like !!!!!!!!!!! My exclamation points won't even make up for the impression of just how big the place is. It was was so legit and it literally gave justice to the dictionary meaning of a mansion. There was so much to see inside: paintings, iron couches, mirrors from countries like Egypt and Austria, jars from China and so much more.



This is the view inside the Santo Nino Shrine. The doors on the side served as guest rooms (all in all there are 13) with different themes. One thing common in all guest rooms is a "signed picture of Ferdinand and a diarama of Imelda showing some beneficial act."

Andrew (at the back), Dr. Yamas, Camila, and I in one of the guest rooms


One of the living rooms with jaw-dropping furnitures and paintings

Under the gigantic wooden chandelier in one of the Marcos' huge living rooms

 Imelda Marcos' bedroom. This was the grand finale of the tour. We missed to take a photo of her bathroom but I could definitely tell you it was much more grand. I could honestly say the size of her bedroom alone is equivalent to my entire house!

Handmade souvenirs near the exit door of the museum

For more deets on the Santo Nino Shine & Heritage Museum, you could visit this website:



SAN JUANICO BRIDGE: The longest bridge in the Philippines! This bridge has a length of 2 km and connects the islands of Samar and Leyte.




For more deets on the San Juanico Bridge you could visit this website:



LEYTE LANDING MEMORIAL: Finally! I had my photo taken with Douglas MacArthur, Sergio Osmena Jr. and his men- or rather, I had my photo taken with their statues, at least. You could have a photo with the statues or in my case, pay a hundred pesos and have your photo taken by a local photographer together with a few props and a hard copy of the shot later.




For more deets on this historical park, you could visit this website:



Wait! Let's not forget my tasty highlights too! :)

Fresh Buffalo milk from the Visayas State University




Seafood at a local carenderia in Leyte




Wine and seafood at Ocho Seafood and Grill in Tacloban city!
I recommend you to try this restaurant when you visit Tacloban! It's no wonder the place was jammed with tourists and residents. Every dish was beyond savory!




No comments:

Post a Comment